June is Oral Health Month, and as you can guess, we are huge advocates for looking after your oral health! Our dental team in Arlington is available to answer any of your questions about oral hygiene, for example: how hard to brush, how much toothpaste you should use, and which dental issues you need to see Dr. Greg L. LaVecchia and the team for.
Here are some of the team’s top 5 tips for having great oral health:
1. Brush Your Teeth — Cleaning your teeth at least twice a day is the best way to maintain great oral hygiene. With many of our patients still working from home, we encourage those of you that can, to brush your teeth after every meal.
2. Floss Your Teeth — Cleaning between your teeth is just as important as brushing your teeth. We’ve noticed that once our patients start flossing, they don’t want to stop as it’s very satisfying to remove all the food particles that will otherwise remain on the gums and can cause decay in the long run.
3. Reduce Sugary Treats - Sucrose (sugar) is ‘food’ for bacteria in your mouth. The bacteria produce acid that eats away at the teeth and causes tooth decay. It’s important to reduce your intake of sugary drinks and added sugars by taking notice of the nutritional information on the back of what you eat and drink.
4. Stop Smoking Or Chewing Tobacco — Smoking is one of the leading causes of poor oral health and can lead to gum disease which can end up causing tooth loss. This can be extremely painful and also upsetting from an esthetic point of view.
5. Don’t Skip Your Dental Appointment — In addition to a strong dental hygiene routine at home, we can’t stress how important it is to visit your Rosslyn dentist at least twice a year for a professional cleaning. We remove layers of plaque that your toothbrush cannot always reach and we can spot any dental issues early on so that the treatment is minimal. Preventative care is much less painful and more cost-effective than not taking action until it’s too late.
If you know someone who is putting off visiting the dentist or if you have children that are refusing to brush their teeth, we are happy to help!
As soon as you book an appointment, we will treat you with compassion and without judgment. Our priority is to ensure everyone has the best oral health. No matter how long you’ve ignored your dental health, we can help. Contact us today to schedule your next appointment.